The holiday season is often seen as a tricky time of year to stay on track with lifestyle goals, but it doesn’t have to be! Participating in holiday celebrations doesn’t mean throwing your nutrition goals out the door and eating whatever is offered. Bring your healthy lifestyle to the party this year with these tips and tricks.
#1: Bring a Healthy Appetizer or Side Dish
This way, you can relax knowing there will be something delicious to munch on while you visit with friends and family.
Some Healthy Food Ideas Include:
- Mixed vegetable platter in the shape of a favorite holiday item (i.e. Christmas tree, ornament, menorah, etc.). Pair this with a ranch dipping sauce made with low fat Greek yogurt. This can also be done as a fruit platter with a vanilla yogurt dipping sauce.
- For a side dish, you can get creative with a salad or seasonal vegetables. Examples of vegetables in season right now include kale, Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, leeks, oranges, persimmons, and sweet potatoes.
- For dessert, make fruit the main component of your sweet treats. Try out some seasonal fruits such as tangerines, kiwi, or pomegranates. Make up some fruit kabobs drizzled with dark chocolate.
#2: Plan a Family Physical Activity
When planning holiday activities with friends and family, suggest things that get everyone up and moving.
Some Family Fun Activities Include:
- Ice skating. Whether it’s an indoor or outdoor rink, ice skating is a great way to get in the spirit of winter and burn off some calories.
- Window shopping. Skip the online shopping for a day and get some steps in while you shop.
- Holiday lights walk. Get the whole family bundled up and outside to see your neighborhood light shows.
Making healthy choices doesn’t mean missing out on holiday fun. Don’t be afraid to try new things and discover new ways to make this an even healthier and happier season!
To learn more about nutrition, please visit our Nutrition Services.