Get Out and Grill: Heart Healthy Grilled Salmon Salad
The weather forecast (if we can believe our local meteorologists) is looking up this weekend with a slight drop in temperatures, humidity and the chance of summer thunderstorms. Besides getting out and getting active, it should be a great opportunity to spend some time outside at the grill … and CHI Health Cardiac Dietitian Toni Kuehneman, MS, RD, LMNT has this delicious heart healthy recipe we recommend you try:
GRILLED SALMON SALAD
**makes two servings
Calories per serving: 280; Carbohydrates: 14 grams; Fiber: 5 grams; Protein: 27 grams; Fat: 13 grams; Saturated fat: 2 grams; Trans fat: 0; Sodium: 65 milligrams
¼ cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 Tbsp. plus 1½ tsp. white wine or cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped or 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1½ tsp. olive oil
1 (6-8 oz) salmon filet
4 cups mixed greens, torn
¾ cup strawberries, sliced
10-12 thin cucumber slices, halved
1/8 tsp. black pepper, coarsely ground
- Whisk together juice concentrate, vinegar, basil & olive oil.
- Set aside 2 Tbsp. juice concentrate mixture to baste fish (step 4).
- Reserve remaining mixture to use as a salad dressing (step 7).
- Grill salmon until fish flakes with fork, basting frequently with 2 Tbsp. juice concentrate mixture (step 2). Cool slightly.
- Toss together greens, strawberries and cucumber slices. Place on two serving plates
- Break salmon into chunks and arrange on greens.
- Drizzle with reserved juice concentrate (step 3). Sprinkle with pepper as desired.