It’s that time of year when people set their sights on a bright new year! Weigh less. Exercise more. Work Less. Play more. Eat out less. Cook more. The list goes on and on.
Have you made resolutions in the past? How do those resolutions look mid-February? Are they still there or just a faint memory? Check these dos and don’ts when making your goals.
The Don’ts of Resolutions:
- Don’t over commit: You will burnout in a few weeks and leave your health goals in the dust.
- Don’t get discouraged easily: Change is hard! Eating and exercise changes are really hard.
- Don’t expect instant results: Altering life-long habits will be a gradual process.
The Dos of resolutions:
- Do Plan ahead: Having a plan sets you up for success. Sure there will always be distractions, but give yourself a chance to be successful.
- Do set realistic expectations: All good things take time. So make your goals timely and don’t expect changes overnight.
- Do gather momentum: Recruit support, join groups and try new things. Resolutions are about growing and challenging yourself.
So whatever your health resolutions are for the new year, remember the Dos and Don’ts. Stay motivated and always remember why you set those goals in the first place. If you want to be healthier – nourish your body with nutritious foods and move more. Best wishes and Happy New Year!