Rice Taco Salad: 66 Calories … and Delicious
Are you planning one last summer get-together? Maybe a Labor Day cookout or a late-summer family reunion before all the kids go back to school? Try something a little different this time:
Hold off on the ho-hum hamburgers and steer clear of the stereotypical steak. Instead, serve up a healthy helping of Rice Taco Salad. At a mere 66 calories a serving, this recipe is considerate of the calorie-conscious … and with the right mix of salsas, toppings and seasonings, you’ll be a hit with everyone from the pickiest of eaters to the most daring.
Rice Taco Salad
- ½ cup long grain or brown rice
- ½ cup frozen whole kernel corn
- ½ cup chopped onion,/li>
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- 2 Tbsp. sliced ripe olives
- 1 tsp. dried cilantro or 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ cup salsa
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt. Allow it to cool.
- Combine rice, corn, tomato, chilies, onion, olives and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Combine salsa and chili powder in a separate small bowl and mix. Pour over rice mixture and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Serve over bed of lettuce
Makes 8 servings
Serving size: ½ cup
Calories per serving: 66
Carbohydrate: 14 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 1 gram
Fat: 0.7 gram
Saturated fat: 0
Trans fat: 0
Sodium: 184 milligrams
These blogs were written by various members of the CHI Health care teams.