The holidays can be busy, but a wonderful time for most people! Try to focus on those things you can control over the next several weeks, and stay on the path towards a healthy lifestyle. Recruit support from friends and family to join you on this venture.
Problem: No time for exercise
Solution: Be Creative
- Get up 10 minutes early and do yoga at home
- Bundle up and go for a walk
- Do crunches or squats during TV commercials
- Get your family moving together with charades or an activity challenge
Problem: Parties with endless food options
Solution: Don’t go hungry to a party.
- Have a fiber-rich snack before you go
- Bring a healthy food contribution like fresh fruit or baked goods made with less sugar
- Stay hydrated throughout the party alternating water with “other drinks”
- Practice mindful eating
Problem: Traveling or staying with relatives
Solution: Plan ahead and recruit support.
- Bring along snack options that fit into your meal plan
- Offer to go grocery shopping when you get into town
- Bring a reusable water bottle and keep it with you, bring some sugar-free drinks packets to boost the flavor
- Let the family know the healthy changes you have made and invite them to join your exercise routine or try new foods
Each person will have different strategies but these are a few ideas to keep you surviving and thriving during the holidays!