12 Ways to Avoid Unhealthy Traps During the Holidays
The holidays can be busy, but a wonderful time for most people! Try to focus on those things you can control over the next several weeks, and stay on the path towards a healthy lifestyle. Recruit support from friends and family to join you on this venture.
Problem: No time for exercise
Solution: Be Creative
- Get up 10 minutes early and do yoga at home
- Bundle up and go for a walk
- Do crunches or squats during TV commercials
- Get your family moving together with charades or an activity challenge
Problem: Parties with endless food options
Solution: Don’t go hungry to a party.
- Have a fiber-rich snack before you go
- Bring a healthy food contribution like fresh fruit or baked goods made with less sugar
- Stay hydrated throughout the party alternating water with “other drinks”
- Practice mindful eating
Problem: Traveling or staying with relatives
Solution: Plan ahead and recruit support.
- Bring along snack options that fit into your meal plan
- Offer to go grocery shopping when you get into town
- Bring a reusable water bottle and keep it with you, bring some sugar-free drinks packets to boost the flavor
- Let the family know the healthy changes you have made and invite them to join your exercise routine or try new foods
Each person will have different strategies but these are a few ideas to keep you surviving and thriving during the holidays!
Ellen Thomsen, MS, RD, LMNT, CDE is a Registered Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist and Integrative and Functional Nutrition Certified Practitioner. She is the diabetes education program coordinator at CHI Health and sees patients at the Millard Clinic. She works with patients to identify root causes to health conditions and make changes to improve overall health. Ellen’s passion is to help others develop lifestyle habits that allow them to feel their best.