New Years Resolutions Dos and Don’ts
It’s that time of year when people set their sights on a bright 2017. Weigh less. Exercise more. Work Less. Play more. Eat out less. Cook more. The list goes on and on.
Have you made resolutions in the past? How do those resolutions look mid-February? Are they still there or just a faint memory? Check these dos and don’ts when making your goals.
The Don’ts of Resolutions:
• Don’t over commit: You will burnout in a few weeks and leave your health goals in the dust.
• Don’t get discouraged easily: Change is hard! Eating and exercise changes are really hard.
• Don’t expect instant results: Altering life-long habits will be a gradual process.
The Dos of resolutions:
• Do Plan ahead: Having a plan sets you up for success. Sure there will always be distractions, but give yourself a chance to be successful.
• Do set realistic expectations: All good things take time. So make your goals timely and don’t expect changes overnight.
• Do gather momentum: Recruit support, join groups and try new things. Resolutions are about growing and challenging yourself.
So whatever your health resolutions are for 2017, remember the Dos and Don’ts. Stay motivated and always remember why you set those goals in the first place. If you want to be healthier – nourish your body with nutritious foods and move more. Best wishes and
Happy New Year!
Ellen Thomsen, MS, RD, LMNT, CDE is a clinical dietitian at CHI Health, working in Oncology and Functional nutrition. Ellen helps patients improve nutrition habits during cancer treatment and beyond. She is a group fitness instructor at the CHI Health Lakeside Wellness Center and enjoys helping people of all fitness abilities be active. Ellen is passionate about helping patients improve their lives through nutrition, activity and stress management.