Staying Active Over the Holidays
With the cold weather rolling in comes less activity and lack of motivation for exercise. When the days are shorter more of us want to go home after work, instead of driving to the gym in the dark. I can absolutely relate. However, far too often I see a client’s weight go up and health go down over the winter months. You have worked hard to increase your exercise and keep weight off over the past several months, don’t stop now! Getting in your exercise may be a bit more challenging, but still realistic. Problem solve your way through it.
- Build off past success
- Recruit a spouse, coworker or friend to exercise with you
- Remember why you started exercising in the first place
- Find a new exercise class or try a new piece of equipment at the gym. No better way to bust through a rut than to try something new.
- Take your fitness home with you. If the gym seems like an extra stop – download a fitness app or download a workout video that you can do from home.
- Set a new challenge: sign up for a wellness competition at work or train for a 5k. The mindset of working towards something will help to keep you on the path.
- And if the barriers of time, money, and energy overtake you this holiday season, try to increase your steps throughout the day. Get a pedometer, activity tracker or use your phone to get 10,000 steps per day as recommended by most experts.
Don’t let the cold and dark days of winter stop you from staying active. Don’t be afraid to problem solve and change up your current routine. Plan ahead for optimal success, know when you have dinner parties or activities so you can adjust your exercise schedule as needed. If you can overcome your barriers, you can stay healthy and active this holiday season.